It's All In The Name
Inspired by the bookmark I received today pertaining to the meaning of my name, I decided to do some actual research on the origin of 'Lesley' and what it really means.
There were disappointingly few results on Google, but I did manage to come up with this:
Lesley. From the Scottish meaning "from the grey fortress". She is petite, desirable and extremely smart with a good head for business. A shrewd lady.
Ahahahaha! I think "petite" is just a nice way of telling me that I'm short, and the "desirable" thing is quite strange. Oh, but I like the "extremely smart" part the best - hope it rings true during the Prelim and O Level exams!
The boy's and girl's name Leslie is pronounced LESS-lee, LEZ-lee. It is of Scottish and Gaelic origin, and its meaning is "holly garden". Also possibly "the gray castle." Leslie has 9 variant forms: Leslea, Leslee, Lesleigh, Lesley, Lesli, Lesly, Lezlee, Lezley and Lezlie. The boy's and girl's name Lesley is related to Leslie. Lesley is a very popular female first name, ranking 612 out of 4275 for females of all ages in the 1990 U.S.
Yes, yes. You can stop reminding me that Lesley is both a boy's AND a girl's name. Though I must say the thing about there being nine variant forms of the name is pretty interesting. Considering there's a version spelt "Lezley" (note the Z in place of S), I guess when certain teachers call me "Lezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz", they aren't exactly wrong. Sigh.
Lesley is derived from the lands of Lesslyn, now Leslie, a place name in Aberdeenshire which means "protector of the grey fort". It was originally a surname.
Wow, so I could actually have been called Lesley Lesley if it was my surname too! Haha!
Okay, this was printed on a candle that Lorraine gave me for my birthday in secondary two:
Lesley. Loves to keep busy and active. A promise made is a promise kept.
Now, I'm not too sure about the "loves to keep busy and active" part (that would mean that I love doing work, right? But I don't. Not at all). However, I do try to honour all the promises I make, so hopefully the second bit about keeping promises is true!
Oh, but this is really the best (found it on a site for eager parents to research on baby names) -
Ratings for 'Lesley':
Excellent 37%
Very Good 21%
Good 14%
Regular 11%
"I don't like it" 17%
It would appear that 17% of people who have visited 'babynamesworld.com' detest my name. Right. That's certainly very heartening.
Well, I must say that the best meanings of my name so far really do come from that little bookmark, and I wish I could say that all the characteristics given are true. Sadly though, that'd make me perfect, and perfect is something that I'm definitely not.
Nevertheless, to the one man company (also the sole distributor) that produced all the bookmarks in record time, thank you so much! I (we) really appreciate it (:
And to all the Sec4s in SC: All the best for the Chemistry Practical prelim exam tomorrow! Don't try and copy my answers or observe my titrating or whatever, because that's about the best thing you could do to ensure your failure. If I break the test tubes/burette/pipette/beaker, please just ignore me and continue doing what you're supposed to (I'll be sufficiently humiliated already, thanks). If I set myself on fire with the bunsen burner, just let me die slowly and horribly - it's more worth it doing the practical and passing, rather than trying to save me from the jaws of death. Besides, at least a scenario like that will give me a valid reason for not finishing the exam, compared to if I attempted some feeble argument like "I didn't know how to calculate the number of moles" (which is probably going to happen tomorrow, anyway). So as long as all your answers and results are different from mine, you are guaranteed to pass with flying colours! Allow me to congratulate you in advance. For now though, good luck and God bless! You can do it (I can't)!
There were disappointingly few results on Google, but I did manage to come up with this:
Lesley. From the Scottish meaning "from the grey fortress". She is petite, desirable and extremely smart with a good head for business. A shrewd lady.
Ahahahaha! I think "petite" is just a nice way of telling me that I'm short, and the "desirable" thing is quite strange. Oh, but I like the "extremely smart" part the best - hope it rings true during the Prelim and O Level exams!
The boy's and girl's name Leslie is pronounced LESS-lee, LEZ-lee. It is of Scottish and Gaelic origin, and its meaning is "holly garden". Also possibly "the gray castle." Leslie has 9 variant forms: Leslea, Leslee, Lesleigh, Lesley, Lesli, Lesly, Lezlee, Lezley and Lezlie. The boy's and girl's name Lesley is related to Leslie. Lesley is a very popular female first name, ranking 612 out of 4275 for females of all ages in the 1990 U.S.
Yes, yes. You can stop reminding me that Lesley is both a boy's AND a girl's name. Though I must say the thing about there being nine variant forms of the name is pretty interesting. Considering there's a version spelt "Lezley" (note the Z in place of S), I guess when certain teachers call me "Lezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz", they aren't exactly wrong. Sigh.
Lesley is derived from the lands of Lesslyn, now Leslie, a place name in Aberdeenshire which means "protector of the grey fort". It was originally a surname.
Wow, so I could actually have been called Lesley Lesley if it was my surname too! Haha!
Okay, this was printed on a candle that Lorraine gave me for my birthday in secondary two:
Lesley. Loves to keep busy and active. A promise made is a promise kept.
Now, I'm not too sure about the "loves to keep busy and active" part (that would mean that I love doing work, right? But I don't. Not at all). However, I do try to honour all the promises I make, so hopefully the second bit about keeping promises is true!
Oh, but this is really the best (found it on a site for eager parents to research on baby names) -
Ratings for 'Lesley':
Excellent 37%
Very Good 21%
Good 14%
Regular 11%
"I don't like it" 17%
It would appear that 17% of people who have visited 'babynamesworld.com' detest my name. Right. That's certainly very heartening.
Well, I must say that the best meanings of my name so far really do come from that little bookmark, and I wish I could say that all the characteristics given are true. Sadly though, that'd make me perfect, and perfect is something that I'm definitely not.
Nevertheless, to the one man company (also the sole distributor) that produced all the bookmarks in record time, thank you so much! I (we) really appreciate it (:
And to all the Sec4s in SC: All the best for the Chemistry Practical prelim exam tomorrow! Don't try and copy my answers or observe my titrating or whatever, because that's about the best thing you could do to ensure your failure. If I break the test tubes/burette/pipette/beaker, please just ignore me and continue doing what you're supposed to (I'll be sufficiently humiliated already, thanks). If I set myself on fire with the bunsen burner, just let me die slowly and horribly - it's more worth it doing the practical and passing, rather than trying to save me from the jaws of death. Besides, at least a scenario like that will give me a valid reason for not finishing the exam, compared to if I attempted some feeble argument like "I didn't know how to calculate the number of moles" (which is probably going to happen tomorrow, anyway). So as long as all your answers and results are different from mine, you are guaranteed to pass with flying colours! Allow me to congratulate you in advance. For now though, good luck and God bless! You can do it (I can't)!

5 Comments:
At 6:14 PM,
Anonymous said…
you missed out 'far too modest for your own good'. and hahah! there really is a leslee!! i always thought lesley meant black sheep. hm.
At 9:32 PM,
abstracity said…
That's alot of Lesleys, Leslies, Lezleys, etc. Ahaha.
Good luck for the practical, and hope you manage to calculate the number of moles anyway. Coughs.
bah. By the time you see this the practical would probably be over. To heck with it, and good luck again. (:
- You-Know-Who.
At 10:23 PM,
joe said…
Hey Les,
hope the bookmark's gonna inspire you.
:)
Mr J
Good luck for the Prelims!
At 3:20 PM,
Anonymous said…
whoa. one day and there's already three messages! that was very self encouraging -.-" what do you mean by you can't, man?
At 3:10 PM,
Anonymous said…
I like the name lesley. One day I shall be spastic and name my kids lesley and leslie. That'll be fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home