Wake Up
Attending a friend’s father’s wake tonight was a brutal wake up call to the harsh realities of life – how one’s illness can change the lives of so many others; how death can, in a split second, upset so many lives, so many people.
Tonight, as I watched how my friend took in the reality of her dad’s passing, I realized how unpredictable life and death can be. Every second, somewhere in this world, new lives are being brought into the world, as others are being taken away. It’s funny how in those few moments – listening to the pastor speak, walking past the coffin, shaking hands with the family members, hugging my friend tight – the times I’ve snapped at my dad, glared at my mom, yelled at my brother, ignored my sister all suddenly came tumbling down on me, presenting themselves as something I then knew I would regret when the time comes for them to leave, or for me to leave, whichever comes first. It’s ironic how at the point when I’m being rude to them, I keep thinking I’m right, but then being made to look back, I realize just how wrong I was, and then the pangs of guilt keep rapping against the door of my heart…like just now.
During the service tonight, I caught sight of another friend, whose dad’s funeral I had attended at the end of last year. He had taken his own life. I could feel in the way she looked on at the wake, how her eyes were red and filled with tears, that it was reminding her of her own sad experience.
Being surrounded by these friends has really been for me, a jolt back into the real world. Here I am worrying about Prelim exam results, whether I’m going to do well, how many points I’ll get, whether I can get into a JC of my choice, and there’s my friend, just having completed her Prelims not too long ago either, taking her O levels at the same time as me, but more than worry about these – now to me, actually rather unimportant – things, she’s having to cope with the demise of a loved one, as the eldest child, with a responsibility to take care of her younger siblings and be a pillar of strength and support for her crying mother…Why am I even getting all upset over unsatisfactory results and being stressed to study, study, study? Not that it’d be right to throw all these cares to the wind, of course, but stepping back and looking at the bigger picture, it’s really all about priorities and the level of importance certain things take in our lives. If I knew that maybe tomorrow, I’d lose a loved one to death, I highly doubt that studying and grades would be weighing so much on my mind now. But that’s just it – how would I know when I’m going to lose someone dear?
But while tonight was certainly a wake up call in that sense, it was also a reminder for me, that death is but being called home to be with the Lord, and truly, it’s a much better place over there.
For now, let’s appreciate and treasure all those who we still have around us, and let's not forget to tell them that we love them.
Tonight, as I watched how my friend took in the reality of her dad’s passing, I realized how unpredictable life and death can be. Every second, somewhere in this world, new lives are being brought into the world, as others are being taken away. It’s funny how in those few moments – listening to the pastor speak, walking past the coffin, shaking hands with the family members, hugging my friend tight – the times I’ve snapped at my dad, glared at my mom, yelled at my brother, ignored my sister all suddenly came tumbling down on me, presenting themselves as something I then knew I would regret when the time comes for them to leave, or for me to leave, whichever comes first. It’s ironic how at the point when I’m being rude to them, I keep thinking I’m right, but then being made to look back, I realize just how wrong I was, and then the pangs of guilt keep rapping against the door of my heart…like just now.
During the service tonight, I caught sight of another friend, whose dad’s funeral I had attended at the end of last year. He had taken his own life. I could feel in the way she looked on at the wake, how her eyes were red and filled with tears, that it was reminding her of her own sad experience.
Being surrounded by these friends has really been for me, a jolt back into the real world. Here I am worrying about Prelim exam results, whether I’m going to do well, how many points I’ll get, whether I can get into a JC of my choice, and there’s my friend, just having completed her Prelims not too long ago either, taking her O levels at the same time as me, but more than worry about these – now to me, actually rather unimportant – things, she’s having to cope with the demise of a loved one, as the eldest child, with a responsibility to take care of her younger siblings and be a pillar of strength and support for her crying mother…Why am I even getting all upset over unsatisfactory results and being stressed to study, study, study? Not that it’d be right to throw all these cares to the wind, of course, but stepping back and looking at the bigger picture, it’s really all about priorities and the level of importance certain things take in our lives. If I knew that maybe tomorrow, I’d lose a loved one to death, I highly doubt that studying and grades would be weighing so much on my mind now. But that’s just it – how would I know when I’m going to lose someone dear?
But while tonight was certainly a wake up call in that sense, it was also a reminder for me, that death is but being called home to be with the Lord, and truly, it’s a much better place over there.
For now, let’s appreciate and treasure all those who we still have around us, and let's not forget to tell them that we love them.

2 Comments:
At 9:20 AM,
joe said…
The Weight Of The Butterfly Flower
The flowering peach,
a daughter's bloom,
each February
she lived
in tiny pink bud.
Her tree fed my memory,
flitted across my vision
with nectar so sweet with sorrow
that the sky wept.
Oh, such weight
the delicate pink
butterfly flower held.
It took her place somehow
and lived for her each year.
A tree-gift from the fluttering
girls and boys of second grade,
now almost middle aged
with children named
Michelle, perhaps.
She will always be eight,
the bright and moving child
of my youth,
so spark and full of fire.
The first that captured my heart
and held it,
she holds it still.
She died again this fall, Michelle,
her leaves turned and bid a final
tremble to the ground.
The tree no longer lives,
just a sentinel stark and bleak
its gamine trunk.
But
under the canopy that burned
my heart again
from brown and rotting leaves
emerges the everlasting
circle of creation,
a fragile new beginning
strong with claims of yes.
At 5:37 PM,
abstracity said…
"Death is the celebration of Life."
In an almost brutal way, Death does remind us of our own lives, the ones we love and the various reasons we live for. This is Life, this is Death. They are different but similar. We can't exactly understand either, intangible and incomprehensible as they are. We can't hold on to either; we have to keep letting go.
At this moment, I'd say that we're all really fortunate, what with these terrifying exams (and somewhat distasteful, nerve-wracking futures) to worry for. We have something to fear and something to look forward to.
And that's Life.
(Gee. I think I've finally figured out a good reason on why we have to take exams!)
Post a Comment
<< Home