GREASEit.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Goodbye's Not The End

Dear Miss Heng,

To be honest, I don't really know how to begin. How exactly does one sum up over three decades of time, effort and dedication in a short space like this? Can the extensive heartfelt gratitude that every single member of the school feels towards you actually be expressed in words? I don't think so, but I'll try nonetheless. I wonder, does being willing to try my hand at a near impossible task like this, make me someone with courage? Perhaps, but no courage that any person bears can be compared to that which you have displayed right from the very beginning, 28 years ago, when despite being young and supposedly inexperienced, you bravely took on the task of running SCGS. As a full school too!

I remember stepping into SCGS on my first day of Primary One - the sheer magnitude of the school just blew me away. Everything was huge in my eyes (or maybe I was just small), and all the corridors and classrooms everywhere almost had me feeling like I was caught in a maze with no way out. But it's pretty amazing, thinking back about it, how the SC magic worked it's touch so quickly, because while I initially felt rather out of place in a classroom full of strangers, I soon became fast friends with many of the new SC girls. That's right. It was starting then that we took on a new identity, that of a true blue SC-ian - one who stays true to the school's values, one who shares the school's vision, one who plays a part in realising the school's mission, and most importantly, one who loves her school. And her principal, of course. (:

Miss Heng, so many wonderful things that you've done in your role of principal of SCGS have really impressed upon me. By 'wonderful things', I don't simply mean upholding the school's name, and not just that, but improving it even, and raising the school to greater heights. Definitely, we can never thank you enough for making SCGS the one school whose badge we proudly wear and whose flag we will forever fly high, but yet so often, it's the little things in life, in a journey, in an awesome experience (that of our SC lives), that make THE difference. It's these little, but nevertheless most important things that you've done, that will stay on in my memory forever.

Take last year's Literature Trip to New Zealand, for example. Our return flight was scheduled to land rather late at night. I remember touching down and dashing off to collect our baggage after the long ten hour flight, and seeing all the expectant faces of our parents, plastered against the glass doors. And amongst all those happy, anxious and excited faces, who did we see but you! It was such a happy surprise for us all, and I'll never forget how you (dare I say) barged into the arrival hall to hurry us out, directing us towards the exit, at the same time welcoming us home with a huge smile. I think the uniformed men guarding those doors were quite stunned by the sudden intrusion (haha!), but it's complete unadulterated proof of the respect you command, for none of them attempted to stop you, but instead, allowed you to do what you felt you should, as the kind and caring principal that we've all come to love. I, and the 29 other Lit Trippers too, I'm sure, really appreciated the trouble you took in coming to welcome us home - not just 'home' as in Singapore, as in our families, but also right into the arms of the BIG SC FAMILY! It's so much more than a second home to us, truly, and it's all thanks to you.

Then more recently, at the Secondary Four Graduation Ceremony rehearsal, you wanted to play the role of the guest of honour, shaking our hands as each one of us went up on stage to receive the imaginary scroll. You said you wanted to shake each of our hands at least once before we leave the school. That really touched my heart, Miss Heng, and I'm sure that each and every one of us too, sincerely hoped to be able to shake your hand before you leave! Because of you persevering through a near 300 handshakes that day, we all got our wish, and I thank you so much for that.

My ten years in SCGS have flown by in the blink of an eye, but all the memories created within the four walls of our beautiful school will forever remain an integral part of me. I can just imagine now, that like all the Secondary Fours, including myself, you can't believe that your time in SC as principal is nearing its end - all 28 years of it! Trust me, we can't believe it either. But Miss Heng, I'm so sure that everything that's happened in the school for the time you've been here, will remain absolutely clear in your mind for a long time to come. Your endless contributions in building up SCGS to what she is today, will also live on in the school and all future generations of SC-ians, especially as you continue to be on the board of directors! So you see, goodbye truly isn't the end, and as we Secondary Fours keep coming back to visit (until everyone gets terribly sick of us), I'm sure we'll keep seeing you around too.

Thank you once again, Miss Heng, for everything you've done for us students, for your bunch of dedicated staff, for the school as a whole, no matter how big or seemingly small it may have been, because they all mattered. A lot. I'll miss you so much, and indeed, SC will never be the same without you. As we pray and hope together that she'll continue to advance under the new principal, I wish you all the best for the future, and may you have a happy retirement with no worries on your mind. Goodbye, Miss Heng, and God bless.

With lots and lots of love,
Lesley.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "to develop women of character and relevance"!! we must all get super good grades for the Os and chope all the places in the top 5 JCs and make miss heng proud! WHOOHOO! must make sure the golden age of SC ends... fittingly.

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this is a random thing but...
    omgosh, why won't she (read: boobus lovalus, s__ckle cell disease) leave me alone!
    GRAH GRAH GRAH!
    i would've never wanted to be a lit rep if it meant:
    1) having eggy as my co-lit rep
    2) i would have to entertain "10x" and all that bad sms lingo up till AFTER GRADUATION.
    -_-" dyou want chicken rice at the lit thing? I'm not even going to go. ha.
    hahaha. the blogging hiatus thing has got me randomly bursting out on comment pages.
    halloween was fun! :)

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :( Miss Heng (/Mrs Phua/Miss Soh/Mrs Low/Whoever else is leaving) is not the only one we have to say goodbye to.
    Mee Pok Uncle passed away yesterday after a heart attack. :'(
    I'm going to miss him.
    It's the most depressing thing to hear before AMP2/Chem.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home