GREASEit.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Theatre Magic

Listening to the West Side Story soundtrack now, I realise it's never going to sound the same ever again. It used to be something I'd hum along to, or attempt to stretch my vocal chords with by singing 'Maria' at the top of my lungs, thereby effectively killing my entire family. Now though? Well, I still derive great pleasure in listening to all the wonderful songs, but it's a different kind of joy I feel. It's almost...bittersweet. It's like I'm happy...yet sad. Strange.

So it's been about a week since ACSian Theatre's run of West Side Story ended; three months of rehearsals culminating in 7th April's gala night, and I'm now suffering from terribly, horribly, horrendously bad withdrawal symptoms. Yes. One week after the last show. STILL. Please tell me it's normal. So this is what the seniors and teachers meant when they were talking about post production blues. Ack.

The week of 2nd till the 7th of April was the ever exciting theatre week that everyone was looking forward to, and for a good reason too. Wonderful things happened in that theatre, and as expected, so did some not so good things. Still, it was arguably the best experience I've had thus far in JC. For as far as I can see at the moment, I'm not going to forget anything that took place in that theatre, whether it was in the dressing rooms, backstage, onstage...every memory created, no matter how small, is going to stick with me for a long time to come. Definitely.

Last week being THE ultimate week, not for a minute did West Side untangle itself from my thoughts. In fact, everything about it was so deeply ingrained in me, that I even dreamt about various people involved in the production for THREE CONSECUTIVE NIGHTS. Now, as much as I love the cast and crew and everyone who played a part in contributing to the success of the show, believe me when I say it's not fun - nope, not at all - to dream of people you see everyday for an entire week, three nights in a row. Nuh uh. Not nice. Hmm. Let's see. I remember having Yu Hsien rolling around on my bedroom floor, expounding passionately on the topic of 'What Makes A Good Musical'. Then there was part of one dream in which Henryk had bought Laura a boat - which really looked more to me like a kayak - as a symbol of his undying love and affection for her (don't ask me how that came about - a boat being representative of adoration. Hmm), and he and his twin were in the process of hauling it up an insanely long flight of stairs to her apartment. Haha! The Madams and Sirs, amongst others, also made their guest appearances. It was really weird, because it felt to me like there wasn't a single moment when I didn't see them, considering how I'd dream about them, wake up, wash up, head down to the theatre and then see them all there.

Oh, but if I knew I'd be missing everyone so much now? I wouldn't have minded dreaming about them for three consecutive months.

Okay.

So maybe not.

But you get the idea.

You know, it's funny how when the production ends, as part of the withdrawal symptoms, things you see that ordinarily wouldn't have meant anything, suddenly remind you of show related stuff? That's precisely how things started going after West Side ended. For example, in church the next day, in one of the lines for the call to worship, appeared the word 'cornerstone'. Believe it or not, the first thing that popped into my mind was the scene of Mister Tan standing on stage after the show and thanking the sponsors, which included the kind provider of the discounted wine, called - surprise, surprise! - Cornerstone. Then I was sitting on the bus home a couple of days ago, when I saw the car plate of a small van that read 'JET_ _ _ _', and poof! Perverse as it may sound, images of the Jet boys prancing around in their little white shirts and tight jeans started unceremoniously popping into my head. Yes. Pity me. I seriously have no idea when and how this phenomenon is going to end itself, but it had better stop soon before I start zoning out for two and a half hours at a go because I'm running the entire musical in my head.

Honestly, seriously though, no matter how arduous the process may have been at times - fouling up steps, getting scolded, dancing with the opposite gender (sigh. All it took was for entrance into college for my wonderful principles on physical contact with males to be thrown out the window. Without a choice. And to think I used to watch those emo ballets and tell my mom that I'd NEVER EVER let a man grab and carry me like that. Sigh. This where I start shaking my head); no matter how painful the withdrawal symptoms have proven themselves to be (believe me when I say it hurts), I wouldn't have traded any of last week for anything. It was last week that allowed me to revisit the magic of theatre that I'd experienced back in secondary school, as well as feel it at a whole new level now, in JC.

On the 5th of April, Thursday, I made my way down to CJC's auditorium at 8 in the morning to watch my favourite SC dramlets perform for SYF 2007. Being one day into production for West Side, I was pretty pooped, but after watching their twenty minute entry, I didn't regret for one bit waking up early, rushing down to the competition venue and what have you. They did 'Conference of the Birds', and I can't say a thing except that it was absolutely amazing. When they first began setting up on stage, and I saw Miss Chua running across with her mop (hahaha), then Mister Choy walking on and prepping everyone, I started smiling to myself. Probably looked quite retarded, but I really couldn't care less. And just before they started the play proper, Mister Choy said something along the lines of telling them to remember: Magic - I swear I nearly broke down and cried. Well, it wasn't all that emotionally charged, but when he said the word 'magic', something in me did kind of snap, bringing back a whole pool of beautiful memories of those laugh out loud happy times in SC, Drama in particular. Seeing my wonderful juniors act their hearts out that morning made me zip back in time to two years ago, April 19th, when we did our batch's SYF piece, 'Like Mother, Like Daughter' at the ACS Barker Drama Centre. All the rehearsals, the competition day itself, the subsequent restaging during MADDcap and Open House that year, were truly the most enjoyable and memorable of the four years I spent in SC Drama. SYF 2005 was such a blast for me, that watching the dramlets in their bird costumes, manipulating their puppets and stuff for SYF 2007, I could imagine what a great time they must've had putting the play together and forging friendships while at it. Talk about the magic of theatre. Revisiting it that morning served as a timely reminder to me, exactly what I love about acting, performing, being on stage. The lines, the role, the time spent in the spotlight...sure, it matters, but nothing can compare to the pure and simple magic of it all.

And that pure and simple magic I got to experience again very soon, for a few consecutive West Side performances, post Raj warm ups, pre show. Standing on stage as we looked up into the empty theatre, stage lights shining bright, holding hands with one another as the familiar tune of 'Tonight' began to flow through the theatre and even seep into its walls. As we all started to sing, as our voices blended, I'm pretty sure that somehow our hearts binded too. It was just for that few minutes that the song lasted, but boy was it surreal. Everything about it seemed beyond the earthly (oh help, I'm beginning to sound strangely like Narayan and 'The English Teacher'). Transcendence maybe? Haha, probably not, but to me, it came close enough.

Looking back and reflecting on the experience of being part of a production like West Side Story, the magnitude of it all, the passion and experience of fellow cast and ensemble members from which I could learn, the dedication and hard work of the crew, backstage and technical alike, I feel truly blessed to have been part of this production, to have had this God-given opportunity to share in the beauty of the experience. There is really nothing else I can do now but thank everyone who created wonderful West Side memories with and for me, and of course to thank and praise God for blessing me with such an amazing opportunity. Thank you all.

So yup. I guess this is where I say goodbye.

Goodnight, goodnight,
Sleep well and when you dream,
Dream of me
Tonight.

Gosh, I'm missing it so, so much.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OH MY GOD YOU FINALLY BLOGGED!!! CONGRATS! hahaha!

    shit after reading your post i miss drama too. even when the best parts of drama was talking before and after it. hahaha.

    (i miss jeremiah and his shi/shit/red cross shirt and his handbag and his magic! who can forget the jeremiah choy cheer? hahaha)

     
  • At 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    pictures!

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello, I assure you, it's perfectly normal to be wallowing in post-production blues. After Camelot we spent all our make up lectures (Camelot was in May so we missed half a year of classes) singing the songs at the most random triggers. But, treasure it okay? Treasure it more than you think you'r treasuring it now, because you'll do productions again, but the bliss that comes with being an innocent j1 will never be there again.

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    les!! i'm so glad i was in west side with u(: sc all the way man(: from drama fest to dep auditions to this. to theasthai to restless IV and beyond... u cant shake me off!haha(: but seriously i had so much fun with u and the rest,and i'm really so glad u were there with me. loveu tons les(:

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am glad we've got such great juniors to share the experience with too.

    When the lights dim and the stage empties...all we can ever look back to, is the people we met, the songs we sang, the time we spent and most importantly, the hearts we touched.

    Enjoy this year, let go and have fun.

    -chin

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OH MY GOD WHEN DID YOU GO AHHHHH I WANNA WATCH TOO!!! =( So they did it? They did it???? CONFERENCE OF THE BIRDS?!?!? It was AMAZING?!???!? =((((((((

    It was a really touching entry. Stop it. You're making me feel all gooey inside about drama agin. Those were good times and I'm totally glad for them. =)

    I WANT TO WATCH ALSO OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG GO SC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    There had better be a maddcap...

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Jean said…

    Hey lesley!
    havent talked to u since the west side play, except thru the occasional smses. heh. anyway it was a great musical! so proud of you and bevy, up there shaking your thangs and ooh, dancing with the men. ah, so grown up(: hahah. Great job! must make it big in AC eh! sounds like our 4GY play! haha but of course in a good way!
    thanks for dropping by my blog once in a while with your encouragements. thank God for a friend like you! if you need me to pray for you about anything just drop me an sms yea? and we live so near each other! sigh, so near yet so far...hahah OH MAN HALLOWEEN! must go together again this year! but pau wont be around...man...maybe the three of us can go do something together before she leaves, the "Adam Watten Shelford" Gang. woah cool wor...hahah.
    i hope you are really enjoying urself in AC, especially in ACsian theatre! cld tell that u were really in your element when u were up on stage that day, u were born to be up there eh! haha
    whereever you go, whatever you do, remember that you can go in His strength and grace. Like you said, God will always be there for us! Praise Him for that! Keep standing tall, pressing on for higher grounds for Him and may you find your purpose in Him always, lesley!(: Continue to be a blessing to those around you and shine on! Take care and God bless. see you soon!!!!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home